Friday, November 2, 2018

Homemade “Tin Can” Cranberry Jelly

Homemade

Growing up, I always ate Thanksgiving dinner with my friends' families since my own family never celebrated it — not because they weren't thankful on that day, but because it was never a part of their culture. So when that fourth Thursday rolled around every November, I couldn't wait to partake in the classic American holiday.

I loved watching the grand entrance of the turkey, steaming hot from the oven and being carved up at the table, I loved the green bean casseroles with French fried onions, the marshmallow-glazed sweet potatoes, and especially the Marie Callender's pies. (Pecan was my favorite.)

But most of all, I loved the cranberry sauce that came out of a can. It was so fun to see the jiggly relish scooped out of the can, ridges and all, plunked down into a serving dish, and sliced up into individual rounds.

Homemade cranberry jelly

I still get nostalgic for that molded cranberry jelly, even though I now make my own and my palate has shifted to fancy-schmancy cranberry sauces with ginger and bourbon and other delights.

I guess it's the shape that I'm most fond of, and its appearance on the dinner table always brings me back to some of my favorite childhood memories.

Fresh cranberries

These days, I try to stay away from high fructose corn syrup as much as I reasonably can, so store-bought cranberry sauce is no longer an option on my Thanksgiving menu.

But in the spirit of the holiday, I thought it would be fun to resurrect that red jelly in a can — by making a fresh, wholesome jelly that's...

Read the whole post... »

CHECK OUT MY BOOKS





NOW AVAILABLE FOR PREORDER! The Backyard Fire Cookbook will help you get outside and master live-fire cooking with over 70 modern and approachable recipes for ember roasting, charcoal grilling, plank grilling, and cast-iron cooking.



The New Camp Cookbook offers over 100 modern recipes for campers, road trippers, and adventurers, plus practical tips for building a cooking fire, setting up a camp kitchen, and stocking an outdoor pantry. As seen in Time, Outside, and Food & Wine!


from Garden Betty https://ift.tt/2qoDgNE

No comments:

Post a Comment