Monday, October 15, 2018

4 Ways to Pickled Green Tomatoes

Author's Note: I wrote this post back in 2011 and since then, it's been one of my most popular posts on Garden Betty, amassing over a million pageviews and hundreds of comments. I figured it was finally time to update it with new pictures from my garden in Central Oregon, as well as a printable recipe card (a feature that's been a long time coming on this site!). The original story behind the recipe brings back good memories of my old garden in Southern California, so I'm leaving the rest of it the same.

5Green tomatoes on the vine

End-of-season unripe tomatoes

Backyard harvest of unripe tomatoes

I am drowning in tomatoes. Crunchy, tart, green cherry tomatoes. Correction, I was. By the time you read this, I'm well on my way to Pagosa Springs, Colorado, via a 10-day-ish road trip through Utah, Arizona, Colorado, and New Mexico.

But this road trip was the impetus for the mad harvest last week of my rogue tomato plants, which have been exploding with fruit all summer long. When you're away for 10 days, things on the homefront can feel a little stressful. Who will water the garden, who will weed the beds, who will check for pests and trim off the dead stuff and pluck all the ripe veggies so they don't waste away?

When I saw the hundreds of green tomatoes hanging off the vines, just days away from ripening, my other thought was — who will eat all of that?!

And so, just three days before I was set to leave, I spent a sweaty afternoon picking as many green cherry tomatoes off my plants as I could, hoping to preserve them so I wouldn't come home to a...

Read the whole post... »

MY BOOKS

NOW AVAILABLE FOR PREORDER! The Backyard Fire Cookbook will help you get outside and master live-fire cooking with over 70 modern and approachable recipes for ember roasting, charcoal grilling, plank grilling, and cast-iron cooking.
The New Camp Cookbook offers over 100 modern recipes for campers, road trippers, and adventurers, plus practical tips for building a cooking fire, setting up a camp kitchen, and stocking an outdoor pantry. As seen in Time, Outside, and Food & Wine!
The CSA Cookbook features over 100 no-waste recipes for using up the produce in your Community Supported Agriculture box, farmers' market basket, or backyard bounty. Learn how to cook all the unconventional parts of vegetables you thought you couldn't eat, like carrot greens and squash leaves!


from Garden Betty https://ift.tt/2ykyl4W

No comments:

Post a Comment