Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Advice for New Gardeners: The Best Seeds to Plant in Spring

Advice for New Gardeners: The Best Seeds to Plant in Spring

In my very first year of gardening, I did what any ambitious beginner would do in a brand-new garden: I bought a bunch of seeds that looked good, threw them in the ground, and hoped at least a few of them would come up.

Some seeds did come up, but many others either took their sweet time germinating (laying dormant for weeks until I'd forgotten about them) or never sprouted at all, becoming a free buffet for a passing bird or slug.

It took several seasons of trial and error before I mastered the tricks of seed starting, learned which varieties grew best in my climate, and figured out when to plant them for a productive harvest.

Ironically, it took much less time than that to realize that patience — a somewhat necessary trait for a gardener — was not one of my strong suits, and after a winter of minimal sun and slow-growing crops, I wanted near-instant gratification in the garden come spring. I didn't want to wait alllll season long for my first harvest, I didn't want to coddle seedlings or worry whether I was doing it "right." Yet, I really loved growing my own food from seed.

In short, I just wanted it to be easy. Fun, fast, and easy.

Seeds for spring planting

What I've discovered is that many of my favorite food plants in the garden are those that come up quickly and can be harvested at any stage. It's encouraging to see your seeds sprout in just a few short days, and oh-so-satisfying to pick your first crop in a matter of weeks.

The prime time to start your seeds in the garden...

Read the whole post... »

CHECK OUT MY BOOKS

COMING MAY 14! NOW AVAILABLE FOR PREORDER! The Backyard Fire Cookbook will help you get outside and master live-fire cooking with over 70 modern and approachable recipes for ember roasting, charcoal grilling, plank grilling, and cast-iron cooking.

The New Camp Cookbook offers over 100 modern recipes for campers, road trippers, and adventurers, plus practical tips for building a cooking fire, setting up a camp kitchen, and stocking an outdoor pantry. As seen in Time, Outside, and Food & Wine!


from Garden Betty http://bit.ly/2GsGrgg

No comments:

Post a Comment