Thursday, October 8, 2015

Narrative Matters: Poems On The Patient Experience And The Practice Of Medicine

nm_blog_oct 2015

Editor's note: This spring, Health Affairs held its first ever poetry contest. Three winning poems were published in the journal. We're also featuring some of our other favorites on the Blog throughout the month of October.

Operating Room Report (or: Uses of the Passive Voice)

I. What Dr. X Wrote

The patient

was consented, told

the complications,

risks, benefits, alternatives.

The patient

was brought to the room,

prepped and draped

in sterile fashion.

Upon entering the cavity,

a large amount of blood

was noted

the patient

at that moment, became

unstable.

No distal pulses detected.

 

II. What the Patient Remembers

"You have to remove your ring," the nurse said.

I told her my dream last night     waking up mid-

incision.     She promised

vigilance.

There were nine blue gowns floating in the room,

they wore blue caps and masks,

unwrapped silver instruments,

touched machines that sounded like oceans and traffic.

"Think of it like a vacation," one said,

fitting mask to mouth.

"Where do you want to go?"

– Micaela Mascialino

 

Slow Worked Sums

For 45 years my patient

taught advanced mathematics

at an elite prep school

where everyone went on to med school

and nobody sounded like me.

 

Diagnosis: COPD, Congestive Heart Failure

She's not circling the drain, yet,

but we can see there from here.

Also relevant: a daughter, most determined

every problem has a solution.

 

Across her dying mother, we work our sums.

She offers up interventions,

ever more invasive, ever more extreme.

I counter with the costs her mother will pay:

Recovery slow and painful, if it happens at all.

 

Our work is checked most thoroughly

and then the teacher nods.

"I'm sure the doctor knows best, dear."

"We'll see about that," her daughter snaps.

"I'm going to have you seen by an American."

-Cindy Potts



from Health Affairs Blog http://ift.tt/1P16KJ3

No comments:

Post a Comment