Friday, January 11, 2019

Happy New Year from Garden Betty

Hello, friends! It’s been a few weeks, but I have to say I really enjoyed my long holiday hiatus from blogging (and my laptop in general — I think I’ve opened it twice since Christmas).

Gemma was on break from preschool, which kind of forced me to take a break from work as well. We built a sled hill in our backyard after storms brought a few inches of snow in town. We cleaned out closets, donated boxes of clothes, and generally just tidied up for the New Year.

I cooked through the holidays, and found joy in the kitchen again after a hectic season of writing my cookbook. (Not that writing a book isn’t fun… but it’s full of pressure to meet deadlines and get things just right, when my usual mode of cooking is freestyling a meal from ingredients I already have around.)

We hosted a Friendsmas dinner party last month that was one of our most enjoyable evenings all year. To be able to get a group of much-adored friends together, a year after moving to a new town, was the best gift our family could hope for and it just made our holidays that much sweeter.

We smoked a rib roast on the kamado grill, served seared scallops with ginger-lime butter as an amuse-bouche (a recipe from my forthcoming cookbook), and put out a buffet of pumpkin mac ’n cheese, Southern-style collard greens, butternut squash gratin, roasted garlic-butter mushrooms, and roasted honey-butter carrots for 14 guests (plus a handful of toddlers).

We happily ate leftovers for the next two days. After...

Read the whole post... »

CHECK OUT MY BOOKS

NOW AVAILABLE FOR PREORDER! The Backyard Fire Cookbook will help you get outside and master live-fire cooking with over 70 modern and approachable recipes for ember roasting, charcoal grilling, plank grilling, and cast-iron cooking.

The New Camp Cookbook offers over 100 modern recipes for campers, road trippers, and adventurers, plus practical tips for building a cooking fire, setting up a camp kitchen, and stocking an outdoor pantry. As seen in Time, Outside, and Food & Wine!


from Garden Betty http://bit.ly/2VKS5bQ

No comments:

Post a Comment